It’s been said that real estate agents live in their cars. While not quite true, between seeing, finding and showing properties, those in the real estate business tend to put lots and lots of time in their vehicles. A mini-office in your car means you can do business almost anywhere.
Often you’ll have time to interact with clients in your car, either because you’re actually driving them to the property you suspect they might buy, or because you’re meeting them outside your office. Which means you’ need to be prepared to do business, right from your car.
What you really need to do business from your car
Exactly what you have available is up to you. It will be much like what you have in your office, but aimed at being portable.
- Your cell phone or a smartphone.
- Your laptop or tablet computer – some can even work with their smartphone for this.
- Your business cards in your pocket or purse
- Paper for note taking – a legal tablet, a notebook, a stack of 3 x 5 cards – find what works for you.
- Quick access to all the forms you need to list and sell a property , stored neatly and accessibly, probably in your trunk.
- Quick access to current client info, probably in a file folder.
- Four or five extra file folders
- Extra pens that work
- Car litter bag
The container is the key
You want something to corral the paper neatly and portably. You also want a decent surface to write on.
You can use something as simple as a cardboard file storage box, or you can choose from an almost infinite number of fancy versions. (Think file storage
at your local office supply and/or search Amazon for mobile office organizers.
It may make sense to start with an inexpensive cardboard box and move up when you’re clear on exactly what you want.
Keep these things in mind when choosing the container:
- It must be easy for you to lift in and our of your trunk
- Soft sides mean less damage to your car when you set it on the hood – which happens more often than you might think.
- A lid can give you a decent writing surface
- You want it to look neat, reflecting well on your professionalism, which doesn’t always mean fancy.
Now you’re set up to take an offer right at the house your showing, get an owner to sign a listing, and generally handle your real estate business no matter where you are.
Tell us about your mobile office in comments.