If you’re new to blogging the whole prospect may seem, well, daunting. That’s not surprising. After all, blogs are still new and if you’re not really familiar with the process, it can seem overwhelming.
What does blog actually mean?I just found out that the term, blog, comes from jamming together the words web and log. The first blogs were actually an attempt to log what was happening to an individual or a business on the web, in much the same way a ship’s log keeps a record of where the ship has been and where it sailed and any other interesting things that might have happened along the way. Hence weblog which soon got shortened to blog. The idea behind a blog originally was a some sort of diary or journal that someone would keep and share online. The idea caught on first among individuals and then was recognized also as a great way to do some marketing for business.
The ideal real estate blogFrom the agent’s point of view, the perfect real estate blog would acquire a large readership that was interested in buying and selling real estate in the agent’s area of expertise. The agent of course hopes that some or even many of those readers turn into real estate customers down the line. From the potential real estate client’s point of view, the perfect blog is one that will help find the right real estate agent, get familiar with real estate trends in the neighborhood or neighborhoods of choice, and try answers for all sorts of questions. As with so many things in real estate sales, if you focus a blog on serving your customer you’ll have a much better chance of creating a blog that’s read and actually brings in business for you.
Good real estate blog topicsAs long as at least some of your potential customers would be interested, almost any topic can be used for real estate blog post or article, including:
- Your new listings
- Other listings in the area
- Announcement of new businesses
- Announcement of closing businesses in the area
- Information on schools that is updated regularly (get copies of school calendars)
- Links to traffic reports
- Information about new roads, road repair, and road closings
- information about a local community or four-year college or both
- Updates from the local library
- Local events with links
- Events happening in the larger community with links.
- A round-up of luxury properties in the area just for fun
- A heads up about any celebrities that are expected in the neighborhood
- An up-to-date list of worship services
- Interviews with service providers who help homeowners.
- Links to local television channels
- Links to local cable companies
- Links to local phone gas and other utilities
- Links to Internet providers
- FSBO information
- Mortgage rate information with links
- Local job opportunities
- Phone numbers for taxicabs
- Links to local transportation websites
- Detailed article on local tourist attractions, one-by-one
- A roundup of information on local tourist attractions all in one place